TheBounty is a project born after the stagnation of YafaRay project after the release of version 0.1.5, maintained by povmaniac (Pedro Alcaide) and rubdos (Ruben De Smet). Being a fork of YafaRay, TheBounty can do everything YafaRay can, and more.
Apart from all of the YafaRay contributors, which we appreciate enormously, we would like to thank the following people.
- TynkaTopi for reporting bugs.
- wizofboz for reporting bugs.
- Sembei for providing Mac OS X builds.
- all our followers on the IRC channel!
If your name is not listed, please give us a hint. Sometimes it's difficult to keep track of things.
Differences with YafaRay
Note: the exact commands to reproduce this paragraphs are listed. If you're not comfortable with them, that's no problem.
diff -u <(git rev-list --first-parent HEAD) \ <(git rev-list --first-parent yafaray/master) | \ sed -ne 's/^ //p' | head -1
This calculates the branching point, where povmaniac split of the YafaRay project. Apparently, that's commit 5ef76658...
This was a commit on by darktide (Rodrigo Placencia). After that, TheBounty got ±180 commits, while YafaRay received ±62 commits, as of today, .
These numbers where obtained using the following commands:
git log --pretty=format:'%Cred%h%Creset' 5ef7665899f0e485092ce4fc5c7741812498f537..yafaray/master | wc -l git log --pretty=format:'%Cred%h%Creset' 5ef7665899f0e485092ce4fc5c7741812498f537..master | wc -l
This basically means that TheBounty is around three times as active as YafaRay. Some of the differences include:
- TheBounty Engine:
- add Translucent Subsurface Scattering material, with several improvements since the initial project in GSoC 2010.
- add option to render 'hair' from scenes exported to .xml
- Blender Exporter:
- add option to export 'children' particles.
- enhance images associated with unpacking textures, preserving its original format.
- add presets material. You can now save your favorite settings for reuse in other scenes materials. These presets are saved independent of the .blend file thus facilitating their use in other scenes.
- Introduce some changes in the lights for better integration into Blender.
- the type of light IES is now integrated into Spotlight.
- has changed the type 'directional' to 'hemi', while maintaining the option to create 'directional' light.
Other things are not yet included yet in the master branches. That includes a performance optimized Blender exporter, which makes exporting scenes around 30% faster. We're also working on completely rewriting the exporter in C++, which should mean a lot of performance increase. We're targetting very high.
As TheBounty is a fork of YafaRay, it wouldn't be possible without the numerous people who contributed to YafaRay. Have a look at their about page for a list of contributors.